Repository navigation
[Due for payment 2025-09-09] [$625] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx #65970
Description
Activity
- addedExternalAdded to denote the issue can be worked on by a contributorAdded to denote the issue can be worked on by a contributor
on Jul 14, 2025 - changed the title
[-]Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/-][+][$250] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/+]on Jul 14, 2025 Job added to Upwork: https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~021944840376811306738
- addedHelp WantedApply this label when an issue is open to proposals by contributorsApply this label when an issue is open to proposals by contributors
on Jul 14, 2025 Triggered auto assignment to Contributor-plus team member for initial proposal review - @eVoloshchak (
External)@fabioh8010 maybe you want to handle this one yourself? It's funny, we had proposals for all the other withOnyx refactors. People don't want to touch this one 😂
Bumping the bounty a bit here
- changed the title
[-][$250] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/-][+][$375] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/+]on Jul 14, 2025 Upwork job price has been updated to $375
Can I get this one assigned or does it still need a proposal? Seems a bit verbose for a proposal :P
I mean, technically we need a proposal but I think it can be pretty basic (though the PR itself will be subject to a lot of scrutiny).
It would be helpful to link to some of the past bugs we're encountered when trying to attempt this same migration in the past
Reacted by Lorenzo BloedowProposal
Please re-state the problem that we are trying to solve in this issue.
We need to remove the HOC
withOnyxfromAuthScreens.tsx.What is the root cause of that problem?
N/A (migration to
useOnyxinAuthScreens.tsx)What changes do you think we should make in order to solve the problem?
- Remove the
withOnyxHOC. - Test PR extensively and make sure the following bugs don't surface again:
- [$250] [Waiting for payment - 2024-10-06] iOS - Login - White screen persists for some time after login #49880
- Log in - Central page does not open the correct page when logging in for the second time #59128
- [Due for payment 2025-04-08] Endless loading screen when launching New Expensify Desktop app after update #59184
- [HOLD for payment 2025-02-05] [HOLD for payment 2025-02-04] [$250] Desktop - App auto relogins after signing out #55681
- Desktop - App relogins after logging out when account is signed in from web #59139
What specific scenarios should we cover in automated tests to prevent reintroducing this issue in the future?
There's a lot of bugs associated with this issue, I'll try to create as many tests as possible for the bugs encountered previously if the tests don't already exist.
What alternative solutions did you explore? (Optional)
N/A
PS: Fixing this issue seems extremely complex in terms of bugs that may arise because of the fix, so this proposal is more of a high-level overview because it'll probably take a while to actually implement it.
Reacted by Rory Abraham and Fábio Henriques- Remove the
35 remaining items
Issue is ready for payment but no BZ is assigned. @lschurr you are the lucky winner! Please verify the payment summary looks correct and complete the checklist. Thanks!
The process for requesting a bounty change is pretty simple - just post in the GitHub as you have done. It's mostly up to the Contributor Manager Engineer (me in this case) to decide whether a compensation adjustment is appropriate, and typically we'll discuss it further in an internal slack room. We don't really have a robust framework for making these decisions uniformly, but I will say that the time it takes isn't really considered as a main deciding factor - more so the complexity, testing, any scope changes, or other unforeseen challenges.
In this case, my thoughts are:
- I already set it higher than average for the higher-than-average complexity
- When you posted your proposal, you laid out pretty clearly the scope of known regressions and the testing that would be needed. This indicates that you had a good idea of the scope when the bounty was listed at $375 and you posted your proposal (which to us indicates that you're willing to do that work for the listed price)
- I agreed to pay a $125 bonus if you added automated tests, which you did
- You managed to get the PR to prod without any regressions or reverts, which the record shows was challenging to do with this migration.
So while it's not the norm, I think we could pay a $125 discretionary bonus based on your active communication and diligent testing on this challenging issue. This would bring the total to:
$375 base + $125 for automated tests + $125 discretionary bonus = $625 total
Reacted by Lorenzo Bloedow- changed the title
[-][Due for payment 2025-09-09] [$375] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/-][+][Due for payment 2025-09-09] [$625] Remove remaining withOnyx HOCs from the project | AuthScreens.tsx[/+]on Sep 9, 2025 ⚠️ Failed to update price automatically. The BZ team member will need to update the price manually in Upwork.@roryabraham Sounds good.
Thanks for taking all these factors into consideration, and also for sharing more details on how bounty changes are considered.
🙂Just clarifying @roryabraham - It's $625 for both @eVoloshchak and @LorenzoBloedow, correct?
yes @lschurr that's correct. Thanks!
Reacted by Lauren Schurr@LorenzoBloedow - can you link your Upwork profile here? Thanks!
Just kidding - I see the offer here: https://www.upwork.com/nx/wm/workroom/41105684/overview
I'll just update the price on that.
Payment Summary
Contributor: @LorenzoBloedow paid $625 via Upwork
Contributor+: @eVoloshchak due $625 via NewDot$250 approved for @eVoloshchak
Parent issue: #64225
Let's refactor
AuthScreens.tsxto useuseOnyxinstead ofwithOnyx. All the work must be done in one PR.After refactor please test it extensively and provide test steps in your PR. In case of questions please ask in
#expensify-open-sourcechannel.Note: Several attempts were already made in the past, so please go to that issue and read all the comments and previous PR in order to have full context about the challenge of this file!
Upwork Automation - Do Not Edit