Skip to content

1.3.0 Release #6972

Closed
Closed

Description

@neersighted

Activity

  1. finswimmer commented on Nov 4, 2022

    @finswimmer
    Member
  2. dimbleby commented on Nov 4, 2022

    @dimbleby
    Contributor

    At time of writing, there are quite a lot of straightforward pull requests queued up. I don't think any of them should block a release - I'm in favour of releasing more often! - but also I don't know any reason they shouldn't be merged and included.

    Trying to err on the side of caution, I'd still suggest that the following look ready to go:

    edit: I forgot about poetry-core, let's add

    (though acknowledging that they're both mine, perhaps I'm biased)

  3. dimbleby commented on Nov 5, 2022

    @dimbleby
    Contributor

    #6747 is maybe also desirable (needs a poetry-core release first)

  4. neersighted commented on Nov 5, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    Edited; I'll start taking a look at finishing/merging the low hanging fruit later today.

  5. rickzinit commented on Nov 16, 2022

    @rickzinit

    any possibility to release v.1.3.0 this week?

  6. neersighted commented on Nov 16, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    As ever, soon/when we can.

  7. neersighted commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    Regarding python-poetry/poetry-core#517, consensus is that we need to weigh it against python-poetry/poetry-core#521 (which looks promising but has poor tests/needs more exploration), and that neither should block release.

  8. neersighted commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    Regarding #6709, without CI to validate it, and with other work needed to migrate Poetry to the (eminent) 1.0 release, I am inclined to defer it to reduce risk and my need to manually validate the change.

    python-poetry/cleo#248 would be nice, but we can bump Cleo in a patch release and @Secrus has limited bandwidth to get #6709 reviewed/Poetry rebased on top of the breaking changes in Cleo 1.0.

  9. neersighted commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    The status of 1.3 looks like this: we need a core release (and core is ready to release), then we need to rebase one PR against Poetry on our "nice-to-have" list to account for that. We can then review & merge that PR, prepare a version bump, and draft our release notes/CHANGELOG.

  10. dimbleby commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @dimbleby
    Contributor

    re cleo, I have code sitting around locally that fixes up the remaining type errors if and when the cleo release happens.

    So if cleo were to release 1.0 soon, and if y'all did want to get that into 1.3.0 - then it should be possible to move fast.

    I don't know that that's especially desirable - I can think of a couple of useful bug-fixes, but nothing that couldn't wait for a 1.3.1 or whatever - and certainly I wouldn't advocate blocking poetry 1.3.0 on cleo.

  11. neersighted commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    That's pretty much where it's at -- there's not benefit to the partial approach before 1.0 is ready, and Cleo 1.0 is mostly blocked on bandwidth. What we have works, let's ship that and then we can use automated tooling to make changes for Cleo 1.0 with more confidence once it is tagged; then backport it if desired to make life easier to the distro packagers.

  12. dimbleby commented on Nov 18, 2022

    @dimbleby
    Contributor

    Just so we're clear, I'm saying that Secrus bandwidth to rebase poetry on cleo 1.0 breaking changes need not be a factor, I have that done already.

    (again, I'm nevertheless fully ok with not waiting for cleo)

  13. neersighted commented on Nov 22, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    Cleo 2.0.0 (nee 1.0.0) is pulled in for this release; and poetry-core 1.4.0 is tagged and ready for dependent PRs to be rebased on.

  14. neersighted commented on Nov 22, 2022

    @neersighted
    MemberAuthor

    We've surfaced a new blocker: #6950 is necessary to improve our CI coverage, and has revealed failures on Python 3.9 / Windows with a simple version bump. Resolving these failures (either as a false positive or as breakage we need to fix, or at the very least a dependency version we need to exclude using constraints) needs to be done before we can tag 1.3.0.

  15. finswimmer commented on Nov 27, 2022

    @finswimmer
    Member

    If we have the time I would like to see #7100 in 1.3 as there are already other fixes regarding virtualenvs.prefer-active-python.

  16. dimbleby commented on Dec 8, 2022

    @dimbleby
    Contributor

    Ship it!

    I'm not sure what it is that causes poetry's release-paralysis - is the release process burdensome? is there anything the rest of us can do to make it not burdensome?

    So far as I can see the codebase has been in a sensible state to cut a release for quite some time; let's do it, and move on to the next one.

    (There's only so many times I can tell people to clear their cache, releasing the fixes is a much more scalable solution...)

  17. github-actions commented on Feb 29, 2024

    @github-actions

    This issue has been automatically locked since there has not been any recent activity after it was closed. Please open a new issue for related bugs.

  18. locked as resolved and limited conversation to collaborators on Feb 29, 2024
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Assignees

No one assigned

    Labels

    kind/releaseMeta-issues/PRs as part of the release process

    Type

    No type

    Projects

    No projects

      Milestone

      No milestone

      Relationships

      None yet

      Development

      No branches or pull requests

      Issue actions